Scranton, PA asked in Domestic Violence for Pennsylvania

Q: Can a victim get in trouble if I threaten someone who is not honoring a pfa?

She asked me not to get involved, I did this from my own volition and also threatened to beat him up if I ever see him. I don't care about what could happen to me. She needs reassurance that she will not receive any repercussion becasue of my actions.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Ryan L Hyde
Mr. Ryan L Hyde
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Exton , PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: First, be careful you are admitting a crime on the internet. Not usually the best policy decision. Could she get in trouble? Theoretically she could be charged with conspiracy to your actions. I say theoretically because a lot of things would have to fall in place for that to happen. Circumstantially they could build a case against her. She would certainly have a good defense. In general, refraining from threatening people is in everyone's best interest. If there is contact between him and her she needs to be reporting it to the police. The document is only good if it is used for its intended purpose. In my experience the police will put a stop to contact if it's not allowed by a PFA. There are always outliers, it is afterall only a document, but it sounds like she has a good (at least well intended) support network. Make sure she is taking steps to protect herself, including using the document when appropriate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.