The Villages, FL asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for Florida

Q: In Florida, can 4 out of 7 beneficiaries stop the sale of a house when there is a will?

I live in the house my mother owned. I don't want to leave, but my only sister doesn't want me to be able to stay here because my mother verbally left it to me in the presence of the remaining brothers. She is indignant about me NOT getting this house! if she cannot have it.

She is about to be named administrator of the will recently filed.

While two nieces are now 2 of the 7 beneficiaries, my 3 brothers have agreed to assign their share of the estate to me. (making it the 4/7).

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Your sister is required to have a lawyer represent her as the personal representative. You may want to retain your own lawyer. Even if you elect to not retain a lawyer to represent your interests, you should retain one to at least review and/or draft the assignments from your brothers.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.