Wilton, CA asked in Business Law, Contracts, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: Cancelling a lease agreement.

I am a landlord and have a vacation rental agency leasing our home. I worked with an individual at the company to sign a lease. Six months later I asked the same individual if they would be willing to allow us to buy out the lease and if so, how much. This individual said he needed to consult with finance and get back to me. He got back and agreed they would buy out the lease for a set amount (all done in email). Someone higher up in the company then contacted me stating they wouldn't honor what I was told, that the person I worked with didn't have the authority to approve this. She verbally told me finance made a mistake and cant financially honor it ($50k dif) If I have it in writing from the individual I negotiated the lease agreement with when we signed it (not necessarily the one that ended up signing it on their end) do I have a case to hold them to it? Lease agreement states only changes can be made in writing. We had a new agreement in writing they are now trying to go back on.

1 Lawyer Answer

Bruce Alexander Minnick

  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL

A: FYI, this is a free online legal forum established to allow members of the public to ask general legal questions to experienced lawyers who volunteer their valuable time to do so. Your important small business question should be directed to your business lawyer. If you have not consulted or retained a business lawyer you are encouraged to do so--before you make mistakes adversely affecting the future of your valuable small business.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.