Berwick, PA asked in Employment Law for Pennsylvania

Q: I am currently a 40 hour full time employee working in physical therapy for the same company for 2.5 years. Our practice

practice has slowed down and I was informed that my position is now going to be taken to what they are calling a Regular Part Time non exempt status. Verbally I was told it would be 30 hours with continued healthcare and benefits. My company wants me to sign a letter agreeing to this new contact but have not specified the amount of hours in writing or continued healthcare. My concern is that if I agree to this change that I may be forfeiting my right to collect a partial unemployment for the 10 hour difference in pay each week. I am in PA, can anyone advise?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Peter N. Munsing

  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: I don't think you signing would be a problem as long as they state that this is not a reduction due to your conduct but just their business. Why not ask unemployment first? (for what it's worth, I understand the VA was looking for PT's).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.