Bolivar, MO asked in Car Accidents for Missouri

Q: What could be the penalty for filing a false report to police regarding car accident?

I saw an accident involving my son and another driver. Although they were within 6 ft of each other and I look nothing like my son, to prevent my son from serious consequences I told the other driver I was behind the wheel. To top that I told the other driver after giving my information that he should look the other way while I disappeared before police arrived. My son had no insurance. The man is now suing me for damages.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: Well,you have a defense to the claim and I would strongly urge you to contact an attorney who can hopefully work it so your son has coverage, you do the right thing and reset the bad example you set your kid. Unlikely you will be charged but hopefully the attorney can make sure you aren't or if you are that you just get a fine. But get an attorney who handles tickets in the courthouse where this one will be.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.