Houston, TX asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Texas

Q: How can someone find out about custodial accounts and stocks a recently deceased relative had bought for them?

My stepfather we had been told while he was alive had opened savings account for all three of my children as well as purchased units at the company he used to be employed at. he passed away in December leaving each of the kids $5000 which they agreed to my mother they wanted to use it to purchase more units of stock. my mother is the executor of the estate but when asked how we know how much that they have she gives us all the runaround my oldest daughter is 20 years old so she should be able to access her savings and it not be a custodial account any longer as well as her investment I think probate court is next week but that’s been kept kind a secret as well how can I request that that be disclosed to all of us or to my children do I need to hire an attorney or file something with the court

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Terry Lynn Garrett

  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The accounts to which you refer likely pass outside the Will.

Once a Will is submitted for probate, it becomes a public document. In many counties these are available online at the website of the probate court or county court at law.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.