Prairieville, LA asked in Domestic Violence and Family Law for Louisiana

Q: ex filed a TRO citing threatening violence and history of drug and alcohol abuse as well as threats to harm

our 17 year old daughter, and mental issues, all of which are false. He was abusive and controlling during our entire marriage and has continued to be manipulative since our divorce. He lives in a small town where he is known as quite a big shot. Our daughter will be 18 soon and no longer under the court ordered visitation schedule, which at this point I don't even care about since she lied in her statement on the TRO. he is asking for all costs to be paid and a mandated psych eval for me. I am unemployed due to medical issues at the moment, and my ex knows I can't afford an attorney to defend myself and is using this to keep our daughter from court mandated visitation. He has also offered the fact that I own a handgun as proof that I'm a danger to myself and others in the TRO. I work with children and this could ruin me professionally, which is exactly what my ex is attempting. What advice can you give me to fight this TRO.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Douglas Lee Bryan
Douglas Lee Bryan
  • Marksville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: This forum isn't for purposes of, or as an alternative to, obtaining advice from an attorney. You should speak with an attorney personally to discuss your rights and options ASAP. I would suggest speaking with someone in the jurisdiction where the suit is pending, as someone there likely would be able to offer you the most competitive fee arrangement. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.