Bullhead City, AZ asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law, Civil Litigation and Probate for Arizona

Q: can the sole heir and named trustee of a trust still claim his inheritance years after the death of the grantor?

in az, two cousins each inherited from their parents seperate trusts for half interest in a family owned apartment building, owned free and clear, and fully occupied at all times. One was the manager and lived in the house of the other, adjacent, built by his parents, but not included with the apartments. He was a local sheriff, who intimidated his cousin and tied in to the courts. When the other cousin tried to file paperwork to accept title of the trustee position the clerk of court refused to accept it on three occasions, saying he must have an attorney which he could not afford. No local attorney would take his case due to conflict of interest. The sheriff claimed there were no profits but continues to buy property and hasnt paid a bill in 15 years taking everything out of the proceeds from the apartments. He even evicted the cousin from one of the apartments. He has finally retired, and the cousin wants to try and file acceptance of trustee position as he should have originally.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: This is theoretically possible but the matter would need to be carefully researched. Much can happen in 15 years and you need to know as much as possible about this trust, its assets and their administration. I recommend hiring a probate attorney to assist you in determining the facts and to advise you as to what your options are.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.