Asked in Family Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for North Carolina

Q: Can I sue my wife's employer after undue emotional distress after having an affair with one of her direct employees. NC

My wife is a manager for a large dialysis company and has led me to believe that she has had an affair with one of her subordinates. I have enough evidence to satisfy adultery in NC. In addition, I'm being treated for PTSD as a disabled law enforcement officer and Army vet and now have emotional stress, lost 52 pounds this year while trying to work things out, but our marriage is failing. She denies in presence of evidence and in Nov., came home with strangle marks where she said another employee strangled her. She was ordered to invite him back the next day and fire him. Still sworn reserve officer, I know assault on a healthcare worker is now a felony. Strangely, she refuses to tell me about the event. I wrote her boss an email and he refused to talk to me as it was "proprietary" company business. I told him as an officer and her husband, it IS my business. Can I sue the the company and/or the third party for at least alienation of affection/criminal conversion, or unsafe workplace?

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You can sue virtually anyone for virtually anything. The question you ought to be asking is - is it worth my while and what are my odds of success. Based on your description, it is likely not worth your while because the odds of success are likely less than slim and none. However, it never hurts to consult with a local family law attorney who can review your situation in more detail and lay out an options you may have. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.