Tulsa, OK asked in Tax Law for Oklahoma

Q: Past taxes owed from my husband's previous marriage, why is it just now showing up?

When my husband and I filed Married-Joint for the first time we found out that he owed back taxes from a previous marriage. The taxes were from 2011! He was injured on the job so he had not been working from 2012 - 2016. So when we filed it took all of our tax return to put towards that debt. His Ex-wife was working during that time so I am not sure why this wasn't flagged earlier, as they filed jointly. Is there a way to split the responsibility between my husband and his ex wife? Why would my husband assume all of the financial responsibility? Are we now responsible for pay the total amount?