Hoffman Estates, IL asked in Immigration Law for Illinois

Q: Can they deport me?

I had my citizenship interview yesterday and they told me that they will email me the answer. I came here through my wife. She is a citizen. We got married about 13 years ago. But is been 4 years we don’t live together and we don’t have kids. I already have a girlfriend and I’m living with her. Can they refuse my citizenship? Can they deport me if they find out that I don’t live with my wife anymore?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: It depends. How long have you been a resident? If you applied for citizenship more than 5 years after becoming a resident, then no. If it was less than 3, then possibly, because in order to be able to apply for citizenship based on marriage to a USC after three years you have to show that you were married to and living with that person for at least 3 years prior to applying.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.