Perryville, MO asked in Traffic Tickets for Missouri

Q: The cop told me I was doing 45 in a 35 but he wrote 35 in a 45 on my ticket. Can this be voided in court?

I had just pulled out of the gas station and the place that he clocked me at was only about 100 yards from the gas station so it is very unlikely that I was even going 45.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrea Rogers
Andrea Rogers
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • St. Louis, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Errors on tickets can be corrected at any time by the police officer or the prosecutor, so it is very unlikely that this error is sufficient to get your ticket dismissed.

You can hire a traffic ticket lawyer to get your ticket amended to a non-moving, no-point infraction such as "Illegal Parking." You won't have to appear in court, and the Prosecutor will give you at least 30 days to pay the fine and court costs. Your attorney can give you an estimate of the amount of the fine and court costs. Fines and court costs vary depending on which court your case is being prosecuted in and how bad your driving record is.

Or you can plead not guilty and ask for a trial. You can hire an attorney to represent you at trial, but there is a very probability that you will lose and end up with a conviction, points on your driving record, and an increase in your car insurance rates.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.