Burleson, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: I need copies of the victim statements that were used against me in a conviction for attempted indecency with a child.

The conviction was in 2000. The state refuses to give me copies under the public information act.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Roy Lee Warren
Roy Lee Warren
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • San Marcos, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Thanks for your question. Unfortunately the State Var has sided with the prosecution when it comes to providing statements to defendants. Under the Texas Ethical Rules of Conduct for lawyers the prosecution is allowed to demand that defense lawyers NOT give copies of statements the state provides. If we allow Defendant's to have a copy of statements provided the Defense lawyer can be prosecuted. I for one resent being told what I can, or cannot provide to my clients. The Great State of Texas has entrusted me with a license to practice law but I guess I am not intelligent to discern reports that ought not be shared with some people.

The Constitution demands that you have the right to see all evidence against you but somehow a way is found to circumvent that sacred document our Country was built upon. Some people even lose their absolute right to bear arms for felony convictions that have NOTHING to do with the conviction. There is no hearing to take away the gun rights, a felony just automatically abolished gun rights. The rights our founding fathers fought so hard for are steadily being chipped away.

The Constitution also demanded NO DEBTORS PRISON! Hogwash; ask those thousands being jailed for not being able to pay child support or unable to pay traffic fines.

You are forbidden from having a copy of the statement, BUT, you are supposed to be able to review the document at your lawyer's office or the DA's office. You may need to contact the Attorney General's Office if the DA's office WILL NOT PLAY NICE. Good luckt oyou and I hope things work out.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.