Asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: I went jail for 17 hours. My pup was left with my BF. I got out and now he wont tell me where she is. Can I press charge

The cops confirmed with him that he would take her until I got out. Now I'm out and xant find her . He said he dropped her off at barc but I've looked at all shelters and she isn't there. Now he says my dog is gone but wont clarify. She was 7 and half week old puppy . I have the vet bill for.her first visit. She is to young for a chip and at the the time was to young for her shots. She had an appointment today for those shots . She was a rescue puppy . I want to know if I can presscharges. . Idk if he sold her. Abandoned her. Killed her , !!.I'd! Please help me this happened yesterday !!!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Roy Lee Warren
Roy Lee Warren
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • San Marcos, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: I appreciate your question. It can be very hard on some people when pets are mistreated, taken or lost.

He could be prosecuted for theft of property (your pet is considered property) but more than likely the prosecution would be unwilling to try to prove that unless you have some proof that he intentionally took or disposed of your pet. Most likely your friend would claim at most he was negligence because the dog "took off". I hope things work out for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.