Griffin, GA asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Georgia

Q: I allowed a friend stay with my family for 6 months with the verbal understanding. She has left her belongings. Help

She has the key and alarm key fob for my home. Her belongings are taking up space. We have no written lease. She refuses to return phone calls or text messages. We have no way to communicate with her. How do we get her out of our home?

1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL

A: Verbal understandings regarding anything to do with real property--including rent--are unenforceable; neither she nor you is bound by whatever was agreed. However, to protect yourself I would change all the locks and start legal eviction proceedings.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.