Wilmington, OH asked in Traffic Tickets for Ohio

Q: I plead not guilty to a traffic ticket and was not offered a public defender is this legal ?

I went into court for a traffick ticket for not removing my keys from my vehicle. This occured at my resdential house and the car was locked. They are trying to get me with part B of the law which states that if i have had one predicate traffic violation in 1 year its a 4th degree mistemandor. I only have a seatbelt ticket violation.

9/10/18 This is local ordnance in my hometown Hillsboro,Oh 76.02(B). When i was awoken at 5 in the morning and informed my car was wrecked I couldnt believe it at first. When i seen my car gone i was shocked. When i reported it stolen they told me i wrecked the vehicle and i was lying. I have never driven the vehicle in my life at all. My brother is currently under investigation by the same presinct and my dad has a very bad past with the judge in my local town. I believe i am being rail roaded by the law of my land and I could really use some advice.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You have a right to an attorney if you face a possible jail sanction. If it’s just a minor misdemeanor traffic ticket (punishable only by a fine), there is no right to counsel at public expense though you can still hire an attorney. Also, you may want to ask for attorney. You have a right to one if it’s not a minor misdemeanor, but technically you have to apply. They don’t have to offer though many courts do.

It’s hard to imagine a railroading on a minor misdemeanor since the worst they can possible do is $300-$400 in fines and costs.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.