Asked in Traffic Tickets for Missouri

Q: Got speeding ticket in October of 2018 , It wasn’t filed into the system til April 2019. Can it get dismissed?

I’ve been trying to take care of it but it wasn’t in the system and I was told to check back several times

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrea Rogers
Andrea Rogers
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • St. Louis, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: You can hire a traffic ticket lawyer to get your speeding ticket amended to a non-moving, no-point violation such as "Illegal Parking."

The statute of limitations on traffic tickets and other misdemeanors is 1 year from the date of the incident, so just because your ticket didn't get filed until 6 months later is not sufficient grounds for dismissal.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.