Athens, GA asked in DUI / DWI for Georgia

Q: Can a DUI- Drugs license suspension be served on top of an Administrative License Suspension for refusal to test?

My boyfriend got a DUI-Drugs in November of 2017. He had his hearing and sentencing in April, 2018. He also refused to do a blood test, which is a hard 12-month license suspension. He served this and got his license back January, 2019 no problem. April, 2019, we got a letter in the mail from DDS saying that his license is suspended for his DUI. From what I've read and understand, this DUI suspension should have been reported to DDS by the court 10 days after the conviction and should have been served with the Administrative License Suspension for the refusal to do a blood test.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ecleynne Mercy
Ecleynne Mercy
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: A DUI suspension, first offense in 5 years, license will be suspended for 12 months. However, at the end of 120 days, the driver can apply for reinstatement if all the following conditions are met:

- Suspended for 120 days.

- Present a Certificate of Completion of a DDS approved DUI Alcohol or Drug Use Risk Reduction Program.

- Submit a payment by mail or in person, select for details of Reinstatement Fees and Payment Options.

In some situations, a limited driving permit may be available for a fee during the suspension period. A limited driving permit will restrict the places and purpose that you are allowed to drive.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.