Denver, CO asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Colorado

Q: If a mother refused child support in court, can she go after child support later on?

The child in question has decided to live with his mother full time, instead of going back and forth between his parents' homes. The mother, who originally refused child support in court several years ago, said that she'll go after the father for child support (should the child live with her full time).

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

John Hyland Barrett III

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: The child support is modifiable-so it can be changed based on changes in income and residence. You should consult with a lawyer about this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.