Albert Lea, MN asked in Criminal Law for Minnesota

Q: I was caught with 1 gram of THC oil it is my first offence im 21 i have a clean record what could be my outcome

i was searched and they found 1 gram of thc oil

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Jonathan Matthew Holson

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rogers, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: That should be considered a small amount of marijuana and consequently it would be a petty misdemeanor.

Thomas C Gallagher

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: One gram of THC oil could be charged as a Fifth Degree Controlled Substance - Fifth Degree possession, a felony. The outcome of any criminal case is uncertain, depending upon many factors including your will to fight and your choice of defense attorney. If convicted of this charge as a first offense, the Minnesota Sentencing Guidelines for felonies call for a presumptive sentence of probation (stayed state prison time), with local jail a possibility. My past clients facing this charge with no priors have wanted to come out of it without a criminal conviction on their public record. I've typically been successful in helping clients get that. Conditions typically include no use with drug testing. Otherwise, we can look for ways to suppress illegally obtained evidence and to win the jury trial.

Note that THC oil typically excluded from the Minnesota Statute's definition of a "small amount" of marijuana, which excludes "the resinous form of marijuana."

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.