Kalamazoo, MI asked in Family Law and Child Support for Michigan

Q: My fiancé was with someone about five years ago. She got pregnant, they were never married she left and disappeared.

He didn't know that the child was born or when, never signed a birth certificate, he knew nothing of her until she was 2 1/2 and the mom reached out to him wanting him in the girls life and wanting no money. she didn't get what she was hoping out of the situation so she pulled the little girl from him and we never heard from her. NOW she is taking him to court for a paternity test, and child support. She wants him to pay back child support. Can they make him pay BACK CHILD support considering he knew nothing of her until recent by the mothers choice?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Your fiance could be obligated to pay support going back to the filing of the paternity action AND the child's birth expenses if provided through state assistance.

In a paternity action, the court is not concerned about the relationship - or lack thereof - of the parties. What matters is whether the child is biologically your fiance's. If it is, then he will be considered the legal father and obligated to pay support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.