Asked in Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: We just received notice that our rent will be increased in 30 days, more than the 10.3% allowed. 7% + inflation.

Do they need give us 90 days or 30? We are currently on month to month.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: IF you are not on a week to week tenancy, nor a tenant in a mobile or floating home facility, then yes, your rent cannot be raised during the first 12 months of your occupancy and thereafter only with at least 90 days prior written notice and not more than the statutory amount (currently approx. 10.3%) over any 12 month consecutive period. IF the landlord is violating these requirements, you likely have a defense to any lawsuit against you for failing to pay the increased amount, plus you likely are entitled to recover up to 3 months rent, plus any actual damages, plus your court costs and attorney's fees.

The restriction on the amount of rent raise may not apply if the dwelling is less than 15 years old or the landlord is part of a governmental low rent or subsidy program. Even if true, however, they would have to include notice of such reason to be exempt from the rent control with their notice of the rent raise and it still needs to be at least 90 days advanced notice, in writing, lawfully served.

If you think you may be entitled to recover damages from the landlord, consider taking the notice and your rental agreement to a local landlord-tenant attorney for review and advice. It is the sort of case that an attorney might take on contingency meaning you would owe the attorney nothing beyond any initial interview fee for their fees; rather they would rely upon collecting their fees from the landlord upon winning or settling the case.

Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.