Villanova, PA asked in Civil Rights for Pennsylvania

Q: Doing new story on Prison built in 1850 was trespass without being on property

City near me has a self-guided walking tour map. Decided to do a new story on it and start it with a prison that was built in 1850. Prison is located in the middle of the city. I never left the city sidewalk, public easement and was trespassed from prison property by local police. Deputy sheriff officially detained me for videotaping him, said I violated Pennsylvania wiretap Act for recording him. Got trespassed for no crime committed. Local television station video tape the prison from the same exact spot that I was at, 4 years prior. As an independent journalist, I cannot do any more stories about this prison. I know this prison has one civil rights violation and also needs attention with handicap access signage. I was told no crime was committed, and I need to file suit. Police acted under color of law. Deputy used Pennsylvania wiretap Act in a way to censor the press. You are allowed to videotape, when they are in their official capacity as law enforcement thanks

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: The wiretap act has no application to video that I am aware of. Contact the Pennsylvania Civil Liberties Union--sounds like the type of case that they may be able to get a law school clinic to bring on your behalf.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.