Lapeer, MI asked in Child Support for Michigan

Q: I am facing a felony non payment child support, what possibilities do I have to stay out of jail?

I am in Pontiac, Michigan. I’ve been arrested, had arraignment, posted a $5,000 cash bond and have a PCC next week. I’m trying to figure out if I will have options to make a “purge” payment or set up payment plan, set up wage garnishment or any other options to help keep me from going to jail. I have 3 other minor children I am responsible for daily. This is my first time I am facing criminal charges of any kind and my family can not afford for me to go away.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Talk with your attorney (you should have been appointed one, and you can always hire one of your own choosing). Without knowing your history, and what your judge tends to view these matters, it's impossible to say what will happen. For sure jail is an option. But I've seen several times where people have stayed out of jail. Obviously, the more eager and willing you are to meet your child support obligation, the more likely you will receive the outcome you desire.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.