Lexington, NC asked in Child Custody and Family Law for North Carolina

Q: Could I get a family friends almost 16 year old daughter if CPS takes her?

We have a family friend who is in a relationship with someone who does bad drugs she won't leave the cops have been called so many times that CPS is involved. Her daughter calls herself my niece she stays with me for a week or so almost every month or so. CPS told her mom that they was going to take her if things don't change.. I don't want her going to the state where she don't know anyone and everything because she is already really depressed and everything so I am trying to figure out if CPS takes her if there is any way me and my family could get her. She's a good girl and don't deserve this.. Please help me figure this out. I am hoping there is a way. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: If CPS takes her they may consider you but likely not. It'd likely be better for the mother to consent to you having custody to preemptively side step DSS. If they get involved, there is no telling what will happen - they are the very definition of unpredictable (and that is the nicest thing I can say about them). If the mother is agreeable, consult with a local family law attorney. Obviously, time is a factor so if you are serious, look into it ASAP. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.