Norfolk, NE asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Nebraska

Q: Does parent time mean neither the father nor mother have custody?

I got on probation a year ago, and im ordered to have it for another year. When I was on probation for 7 months I went to see my boyfriend who i was court ordered with probation not to have contact with. Things happened and i found out i was pregnant. I'm now five months pregnant and i haven't told my mom or my probation, and having probation for another year they are definitely going to know. I'm starting to show so i know they are going to find out soon. I'm currently 16 years old. In what ways could they amend my probation rules and how would the parent time work? Would one of us at least be able to have custody? Also would i be able to be around the father of my child so he could be involved with the pregnancy and the child's life. I want my kid to be able to spend time with both of us at the same time. i want whats best for my child. The dad and i currently still together, and have no intentions of breaking up.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Vanessa Jean Gorden
Vanessa Jean Gorden
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Lincoln, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: Alot of the answers to your questions are going to depend on how you are otherwise doing on probation and how your child's father is doing with his. Are you drug testing and testing clean? Are you living in a safe and stable environment? Obtaining prenatal medical care? Otherwise following the rules? Is your boyfriend following the rules, sober and stable? If so, you should talk to your juvenile court attorney about asking to have that probation condition lifted so that the father can be more involved. However, you cannot sneak around - that will only harm both of your cases if you are ordered not to be together.

Parenting time is the legal term that is for when each parent has possession of or time with the child. Custody is both legal (the right to make decisions for the child in school, medical care, and religion) and physical (the right to the primary residence of the child). You have a constitutional right to parent unless you are unfit and unable to provide your child a safe home. Best wishes!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.