York, PA asked in Child Support for Michigan

Q: My son is 9. child support not been raised in 8 years. I make 12.00 hourly he makes 28.00 hourly. He is with me 60% time

He has him 40% time. But hes in tutoring, extra curricular sports and it's expensive yet the court turned down my request for more child support. Why?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Child support is calculated not only on the amount of time each parent has the child (more specifically, the number of overnights), but also the disparity of income between the two parents. Child support does not "grow" with the child.

Unless either of your incomes substantially change, or there has been a change in the number of overnights, you'll have a tough time overcoming the first factor a court uses to determine whether to review child support: that there has been a change in circumstance. Without that, child support remains in place.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.