Webster, MA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Massachusetts

Q: Looking for information regarding my legal rights as a noncustodial parent believing my child to be in an unsafe environ

Environment. My ex wife has recently entered into a relationship with her blood cousin (Adopted out of the family as an infant, he found her looking for his family). She allowed him to move in with her and my nonverbal autistic daughter without even meeting him - their entire relationship was based off of text and phone messages. Up until this point, I have been handling everything - doctor's appointments, health insurance, etc, not only for my daughter, but for her as well (She has severe anxiety, and some physical issues as well). Now, she has cut off all contact, and I am concerned that the decisions she is making are not in my daughter's best interest. I am trying to resolve things without a problem, but I do not think she will cooperate, and will use my daughter against me when I am unwilling to help her and her new SO (who also has anxiety and health issues) with rides, errands, etc. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: If you have a divorce judgment , then the terms of the Judgment or Separation Agreement incorporated in the Judgment as to Custody and visitation, if applicable will be in force until Modified. You have made statements of concern for your child's well-being and a Modification and Motion for Temporary Orders with Affidavit in Support should be done ASAP. There could also be a Contempt action commenced if she is violating visitation orders and not in communication with you about the child . You should seriously consider having representation as it appears that there are many issues involved in your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.