Brandon, FL asked in Business Law, Contracts and Small Claims for Florida

Q: I offered to have the computer repaired and have a full internal diagnostic run. Their response was one of two options.

The first option they gave me was to pay for the computer outright, $500 and I could do what I wanted with regard to repairing it. So I would be paying between $750-800 for a $500 computer. Or I could pay to have it repaired, send it back to them, their tech person would check it out to see if it’s a “total loss” and I’d have to pay whatever the outstanding balance would be if their computer guy deems it a “loss.” I never signed any agreements or contracts obligating me to pay for any lost, stolen, or damaged company equipment. I have tried to remedy the situation the best that I can but they are putting me in a tough situation, that I don’t think is legal.

1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Because you did not say whether or not you caused the damage to your ex employer's computer I am assuming that you did. Therefore, I am sure you can see why your ex employer wants you to fix the damage or replace the computer. And since you have several choices as to how to solve this dilemma, why not pick the cheapest one? Pay the $500 they have demanded and keep the damaged computer; then you can either have it repaired or trash it, whatever.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.