Shawnee, KS asked in Traffic Tickets for Missouri

Q: How can I deal with out of state speeding tickets with a Missouri license?

I have a MO license but I have 2 received speeding tickets in Illinois and one in Iowa in the past year. I didn't realize out of state tickets counted towards points on your license so I just paid the fine and didn't get them fixed. Can I still have an attorney get them off my record or is it too late? Do I have any alternatives? I haven't received anything notifying me of points/ suspension etc.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrea Rogers
Andrea Rogers
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • St. Louis, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: It's possible that an attorney in IL or Iowa could withdraw your guilty plea and get your tickets amended to a non-moving violation. You will need to hire a traffic ticket lawyer in the state (and preferably in that particular county or city) where you got the tickets. It's more difficult to withdraw a plea if too much time has passed, so I suggest you look into this asap.

Your license will be suspended for 30 days if you accumulate 8 points within 18 months. Your license will be revoked for 1 year if you accumulate 12 points within 12 months. You can call the Missouri Dept. of Revenue to find out how many points you have accumulated so far.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.