Bellflower, CA asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for California

Q: DA offices said No charges will be filed against my sons. But the detective says it's being referred to probation. Why

My son was cited intent to sell 3 thc cartridges. DA office rejected the case. I contacted the detective to get my sons phone back, and he informed me that my sons case is being referred to probation and he isn't able to give me back the phone. The only paperwork I received was from the DA office saying that they aren't filing charges. I'm not sure why the detective won't release the phone.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Rhonda Mae Hixon

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Redding, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If they are minors, it is most likely a referral for informal handling through juvenile probation.

Dale S. Gribow

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: need more info

if they are minors it is probably a referral to juvenile court/probation to handle.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.