Orlando, FL asked in Business Law, Small Claims, Consumer Law and Contracts for Florida

Q: Legal action against company or person that does not really exist? Company said they were in NV. It doesnt exist.

I invested money for a profit return promise. No contracts were signed. Just some emails with acknowledgment. The person said to own company does not exist nor does the company

1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Wow. If I had $100 for every sad story involving long-distance bad investment scams I have heard of here in Florida I would not have to practice law for my living.

Fact: Since most scams do not involve scads of money, scammers know that most of their hapless targets will just let it go and move on, without reporting it to any authority.

On the other hand, sometimes it is advisable to pursue the thief, especially if there is any kind of paper trail left behind.

Bottom line: If your investment loss is in the five figure range (or more), there are (inexpensive) ways to try to find out who the thief is who sold you on this very common scam. And there are Florida and federal government agencies that will listen to well-presented facts detailing the scams--because you are not the only person in Florida that got hit. The best way to approach this problem is to contact a business or banking lawyer who has experience in locating thieves.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.