Gold Beach, OR asked in Divorce for Oregon

Q: Can I evict my husband when my name is on all assets? He will not hold a job and does not help pay for our assets.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Joanne Reisman

  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Technically you can evict your husband from your home or another residence. Be sure to follow landlord tenant rules so you do it properly. However be warned, your husband could turn around and file for a divorce and seek remedies like getting spouse support from you to help him pay for his living expenses, at least temporarily. That said, a court is not going to have sympathy for him not wanting to work if he is physically and mentally capable of working. And if he claims he is disabled then he will need to apply for the appropriate disability benefits that he might be entitled to. Your husband is also going to be entitled to 1/2 of all of your marital property which includes property currently in your name only unless you have a prenuptial agreement or you can rebut the presumption of equal contribution that the Oregon Law applies. My recommendation would be to go and see an Attorney before you take any action to evict your husband and discuss what is likely to happen if your husband files for divorce. Or better yet, talk to an Attorney and file for divorce yourself.

Don F. Harris


A: You should consult a local divorce lawyer, and at least pay for a consultation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.