Wilmington, OH asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Domestic Violence for Ohio

Q: My sons dad smacked him in the back of the head after my son told him hes afraid of him. Should I report this to police?

The father doesn't have any court ordered visitation rights but my 12 year old son wanted to go visit with him so I allowed it. We met up at my sons counseling appointment and the counselor reported the incident to CPS. The father has a violent record and my son and I are afraid he may show up and do something us. But I do not know if what he did is illegal. He also stole my sons PlayStation, iPhone, and clothes.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: It's already been reported to CPS, but you can report it to the police along with the theft of son's property. If father makes threats, obtain a protection order.

Dimitrios Makridis agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.