Asked in Criminal Law for Arizona

Q: Ho do I submit a video into evidence at a no jury criminal court case

The video was taken by the attending officer's body cam. The video was sent to me from the prosecutor of this case.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Maerowitz
Matthew Maerowitz
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: If you have an attorney, you will want to ask your trial attorney. Ultimately, this is a tough question to answer because it involves going through the rules of evidence that us lawyers learn from law school and experience. Basically to use the body cam as evidence you will want to request the court clerk mark it as an exhibit and eventually request to admit the evidence at trial. You would likely do this when the officer is on the stand. Successfully doing this can be very tricky for someone not experienced with the rules of evidence or trial.

If you do not have an attorney and you are able to afford hiring an attorney, I strongly recommend you consider hiring an attorney experienced in criminal trials. Many firms, including mine, will offer a free consultation to discuss your options before you make the decision to have an attorney.

If you are not going to hire an attorney, you should at least observe a criminal non-jury trial ideally in the court where your case is at so you have an idea how the lawyers are using evidence.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.