Q: If I left my belongings at my ex girlfriend's house...and now she wont give it back...what can I do to get my things?

She says she dont have them and that I took them with me...but I didnt...the clothes are my companies not mine...the rest she can have

2 Lawyer Answers

Ellen Cronin Badeaux

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Your only recourse is justice of the peace course or suck it up and buy new uniforms.

Peter N. Munsing


A: It's a classic "he said she said." She says she didn't have them so the police won't arrest her or charge her just because you say she had them. You can ask the police--see if their asking her get's her to release them but otherwise as Ms. Badeaux states you should file your case in small claims.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.