Boonton, NJ asked in Consumer Law for New Jersey

Q: Jiffy Lube damaged my car , $6,151 in damage. Jiffy Lube may pay me barely book value. Car worth $1,000. Can i get more?

On 3/23/2019 I had Jiffy Lube’s “recommended” maintenance schedule work done on my Toyota matrix wagon at Store #457,New Jersey, 973-586-3338. Lubrication LLC., 133 Route 46, Rockaway, NJ. 07866. My vehicle at the time had 184,964 mileage on it. Jiffy Lube representative, Representative: Devin M., recommended work included that I have my transmission fluid flushed out and replaced. I had it done, never have transmission fluid replaced in any high mileage vehicle because they use a detergent when they flush out the old thick sludgy fluid that can damage the embedded transmission wiring, plus, the loosened thick sludgy deposits can permeate cracks and places of electronics embedded in the transmission that it is not supposed to go in”. Went to Toyota because of engine light. The Toyota statement indicated, “Needs Trans and ECU”. The statement also says Transmission assembly, Reman or Used $6156.00. Toyota swears is was because of Jiffy Lube, but they do not want to go to court.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Your situation is complex and unless the NJ Consumer Fraud Act is applicable, that will servery limit the amount on money that you can recover. Your situation will require an in person consultation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.