Chicago, IL asked in Employment Law, Family Law and Immigration Law for Illinois

Q: Could my parents sponsor me a green card when I am maintaining OPT status?

I am currently on OPT and will start my H1B this October 2019. My parents have recently gotten a green card and I am curious If they can sponsor my green card so I can stay in the US to get the procedure completed.

Any help would be highly appreciated and I would like to start the procedure as soon as possible if I am eligible.

current nationality: Pakistan

2 Lawyer Answers

Kevin L Dixler

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: More information is needed, but it may help provided you are eligible to file for adjustment 'before' your H-1b expires or is terminated due to resignation or termination. I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney, who can review all of the concerns to your satisfaction.

The above is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Hector E. Quiroga

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: Possibly. There are a lot of unanswered questions. They can certainly file a visa petition on your behalf, and you can apply for a visa once the petition becomes current. Currently the waiting list for someone in your circumstances is about 4 years, so it is entirely possible that you could make this work. You really need to consult with an immigration attorney for more information on the details.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.