Baltimore, MD asked in Criminal Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Why would a simple assault charge also show up as a felony for a first time offender? What happens next?

Me and my husband got into a fight and he put his hand on my neck (the police decided it was choking me but i could still breathe). I dont feel threatened by him, it was a misunderstanding. This is the first time he ever did this and we're on a no contact order until court. I just want him back home.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: He was probably charged under a fairly new statute called "Strangulation," which is a second-degree felony -- and it's just as serious as it sounds.

Your husband needs good legal representation, and right now, so that you both can nip this case in the bud before it progresses any further. I do a lot of these types of cases. If you'd like to talk, contact me ASAP via the information on my Justia profile. Best of luck to you both.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.