Wetumpka, AL asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Alabama

Q: Adultery, Divorce, Custody/Child Support and Alimony

My husband and I have been married for 14 years. Both of us have committed adultery during the marriage but he left me and our son who is now 11 twice during the 14 years. Now we both want divorce and I want alimony due to low finances on my end. He wants joint custody, only so that he doesn't have to pay child support although since birth I've been the one caring for our child. We've been separated and living separately since 02/04/19. He moved his mistress in 4 days after he basically put me out and I have reason to believe that they are already engaged. He was giving me money since march to help with my rent and son but said he's going to stop because he doesn't have to do anything for me legally. Do I have to wait for divorce to get child support in Alabama and would this help me get alimony although we both actually cheated in the marriage. I don't know what to do and can't afford a lawyer.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Robertsdale, AL

A: You have a lot of facts here, and they are all important to the questions you ask. You need an attorney to address these. Go to legal aid, or find the money to hire someone. If he has had sex with you after learning of your infidelity, he can't sue you on grounds of adultery. If he left you for another woman then you probably can. THis is not a case to do yourself. GO get some help. Call legal services or call your county bar and ask this if they can tell you who can help.

Kristine Jones agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.