Dallas, TX asked in Divorce for Louisiana

Q: My son wants his wife to change her last name after divorce.

My son's wife left him the day he got out of the Army. She doesn't want to change from my sons last name. They have a 3 year old daughter together but she is now pregnant for another man. Her reason for not wanting to change her last name is because she wants to keep the same last name as at least "1" of her children & she says it costs too much money. Which he stated he would gladly pay for it. They are still married at this time.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Your son cannot force her to assume her maiden name. If she left him, he needs to file ASAP to cut off her ability to get him in debt. Alternatively, they can go to a mediator for their divorce, if they agree on everything.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.