Crowley, LA asked in Divorce and Family Law for Louisiana

Q: What outcome should I expect from my divorce?

My wife and I were married just over a year ago. At the time we were married, she was a recently divorced mother of 3 children from her previous marriage, and we have no children of our own, nor any "community property" to speak of. After getting married, I moved into her house, which is completely under her name, and we made no major purchases or investments after our marriage. Since there are no children involved or major assets to dispute, what's the most my soon-to-be ex-wife could receive as an outcome of our divorce in the state of Louisiana? As of right now we are in the 180 separation phase, mandated by state law.

That being said, is it worth hiring an attorney of my own? This is my first marriage and divorce, but considering the simplicity and duration of the marriage, I have no clue what her attorney would be able to obtain on her behalf.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Ellen Cronin Badeaux

  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Her attorney can still seek spousal support. By the way, you can file for divorce at the beginning of the separation, instead of at the end of the 180 days, to prevent her from getting you in any debt. You should at the least consult with an attorney. Additionally, if you screw up a do-it-yourself divorce, your next marriage would be bigamy. A budget friendly alternative, if you both agree on everything, is to mediate your divorce. Usually about 1/3 the price of hiring an attorney to litigate your divorce.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.