Nashville, TN asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Landlord - Tenant for Tennessee

Q: Hotel Occupancy T.C.A. 67-4-4(7). Does the police not have to enforce the law whether civil or criminal?

My husband and I checked in on 8/30/2018. We have been here continuously, since. I have receipts to prove this. With that TCA, does the police not have to enforce the law as stated, even though it is civil? This hotel also turned our power off, and I know this is illegal as well, so I flagged a police officer down & asked them about this & they said they couldn't do anything because it was not criminal. I was under the impression that the police are supposed to enforce the law as stated, whether civil or criminal, am I wrong? Also, since we have been here almost a year, & have established an address here, do we not fall under the fair housing laws, according to the TCA 67-4-4(7)?

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You are incorrect. The Police enforce criminal law violations. It is up to the citizen or the civil authorities to enforce common law, statutes and equitable principles in the Courts of our State. You may have a cause of action to sue for damages or to enjoin what you believe are illegal actions. Lawsuits are expensive, lengthy and difficult, so you might consider other alternatives such as moving elsewhere. On occasion you might call the Health Department, but then your landlord will not be happy with you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.