Fort Worth, TX asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: Re: SB 1437 - how do I get representation for son that petitioned for re-sentencing? In LA County; awaiting court?

New law allows convicted to petition courts for resentence; his petition was accepted; and a court date has been set. How do I get him representation; for his benefit; rather than a Public Defender assigned?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Gary Kollin

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL

A: You contact attorneys and retain one

Rhonda Mae Hixon

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Redding, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You can always hire an attorney privately, but it's worth mentioning that Penal Code section 1170.95 (where SB1437 is codified) placing the burden of proof on the prosecution to prove , beyond a reasonable doubt, that he is ineligible for resentencing. If the facts are clear that the change in the felony murder (natural and probable consequences) law apply, it may not be much of a fight.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.