Brooklyn, NY asked in Family Law and Elder Law for New York

Q: My sister won't let me have contact with senior dad despite him wanting so. What court should I go to?

My dad came to visit her about a year ago, she has been holding him since. she has cut off all communication, and won't let us see each other.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Benjamin Z. Katz
Benjamin Z. Katz
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If you believe that your father is being held against his will and is in immediate danger, you should call the police. If not in danger but potentially being neglected or otherwise mistreated Adult Protective Services has offices in each county and may be contacted.

If you believe neither is the case, but you are simply being denied access, then I would need to know if your sister has a Power of Attorney or Health Care Proxy or was given guardianship and is exercising her powers. If so, you can claim that she is abusing that authority in court. If there is no such powers or authority, you can petition the court for a Guardian to be appointed for your father. However, further information is needed to determine best strategy.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.