Dearborn, MI asked in Child Support for Michigan

Q: What is my child's father chances of getting child support lowered?

He lost his job back in Feb just completely stop paying about a month ago. He doesn't spend time with our daughter or see her at all. He asked the courts to modify his payments

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Howell, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Assuming he lost his job through no fault of his own, chances are pretty good his support will be modified.

You need to have someone representing you at the Friend of the Court hearing/Divorce court hearing to insure the whole situation is explored, and the possibility of increasing the support once he's employed again remains open and 'transparent' (eg you're entitled to regular updates so you can bring this back when there's a change in circumstances.)

Support won't go to 'zero' but it is important that you are involved in the process to minimize the disruption to your child.

-- This answer is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship.

I am licensed to practice in Michigan only. Please seek competent local legal help if you feel you need legal advice

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.