Colorado Springs, CO asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Colorado

Q: is there a law in Colorado allowing someone who has made improvements to a piece of property to own it or take it

abandoned home that my husband and I was told we could stay in. Now the lady wants us to move but we have made some outstanding improvements to the place and she is breaking a verbal contract

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick

A: No. Unless Colorado law is different from Florida law (not very likely), everything legal involving real property (like the house you live in) must be in writing; oral agreements are not enforceable. However, out of an abundance of caution, I advise you to call a Colorado real estate lawyer and ask them if Colorado still recognizes "squatters rights."

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.