Los Angeles, CA asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: Can burglary charge be reduced to one with no jail time?

My boyfriend was charged with burglary. He was with a friend that was helping me move a few things from my storage. Basically our friend and I ended up having a couple drinks and we were not able to drive. So my boyfriend, being the only one that didn't drink, offered to drive the haul. So after dropping off things at my house he went to take our friend home and seen a motorcycle unattended sitting in front of a garage. And they end up saying a couple things back and forth and and decide to go see if they could see anything wrong with it. They couldn't understand why it would have just been left there. They couldn't see any issues and still there was still nobody around to claim the bike. So he loaded into the back of the uhaul truck and got pulled over. He was arrested and charged with burglary. Can his charge be reduced to one with no jail time so he doesnt lose his job?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: More info needed.

however the charge is not reduced with you example but the sentencing could be.

In this case i would not expect jail time for someone with no record...if the facts pan out.

i am assuming it was his friend's personal garage?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.