Ithaca, NY asked in Family Law for New York

Q: Can I leave my mothers house at 16 and move in the father of my child’s house?

My mother is constantly putting me down mentally and emotionally. There was a time she said “he just wants in your pants” and another “who knows what you did with ******** in that dress I hope you used double protection because we can’t afford another baby”. I have a one year old son, a job, and a horrible support system here. I want to live there because it’s a better environment for my child. My mother smokes weed before I go to school and then watches my child. She also sells weed to friends. And has stolen my money before.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You can move out of your mother's house. She can try to force you back or even ask for custody of your baby but based upon what you are saying she probably won't win. Just be careful as depending on the age of your boyfriend she may try to have him arrested for statutory rape. I suggest you contact the local bar association and see if you can get a free consult with a lawyer about the entire situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.