Brooklyn, NY asked in Family Law and Child Support for New York

Q: Is it possible to have my ex pay my legal fee's in child support case; for violation of order?

There was a support order issued in 2012/2013 for 50.00 per week. To date, the arrears exceed six thousand dollars.

I am aware that he has been employed in various occupations and capacities over the years, but has managed to either work off the records, or withdraw from employment before wage garnishment occurs.

There has been no additional monetary support or contribution to me in regards to my daughter.

My expenses in regards to my child have Increased drastically since the original support order was issued, including child care fees, summer camp fees, and after school fees, as well as daily expenses for necessities.

He is currently employed(he admitted via text), and has had another child in the last year whom he resides with and supports.

I did not have an attorney when the case was initially opened. I believe it is in my best interest to retain an attorney, but don't think it's fair that I incur legal fees. Can he be responsible?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: The court can award fees if he is found to have violated the support order (but that is after the case is over). At the same time, you can request an upward modification based upon what is going on at this time and increased expenses.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.